Social Security recipients living in areas impacted by Sandy will be able to pick up their checks at certain postal locations, postal authorities say.
Social Security checks due for delivery on Nov. 1 will be delivered in locations where mail services will be restored and safe access to the mailbox is assured, officials said.
Customers in Jamaica and the Rockaways will require a customer pickup at the following mobile units, according to the United States Postal Service:
• JAMAICA: Post Office Box Customers only from Howard Beach and B Station Finance Unit are directed to Ozone Park Finance Station, 911 Liberty Avenue, in Jamaica
• All SSI checks for Zip Codes 11691 and Inwood (11096) will be available at Mobile postal unit in front of Rockaway Main PO at 1836 Mott Ave., from 10 am to 1 pm
• All SSI checks for Arverne 11692 and the Broad Channel Routes will be available at Moble unit in front of Arverne Post Office located at 329 Beach 59th Street from 10 am to 1 pm
• All SSI checks for Rockaway Beach (11693), Rockaway Park (11694) and 11697 will be available at Mobile Unit in front of Rockaway Park Post Office located at 11325 Beach Channel Drive from 10 am to 1 pm.
• Remaining checks from these mobile units will be available at Jamaica Main Post Office lobby located at: 88-40 164th St in Jamaica for additional distribution between 2 pm and 4 pm.
Customers must have proper identification including name and address that appears on the check.
One form of ID meeting both requirements, such as a current driver’s license, is sufficient.
In Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, customers with questions or concerns about their mail should call 718-348-3900 or 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).