The Ride Might Not Be Over at Coney Island

Shoot the Freak is not going down easy.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    People walk along the boardwalk on a hot afternoon at Coney Island on August 31, 2010 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City near the Cha Cha's and Shoot the Freak attractions -- which are both supposed to vacate their historic locations.

    Eight businesses on the boardwalk at Coney Island say they are going to fight the developer that wants them out.

    Earlier this month the businesses, which include Shoot the Freak, Ruby's Bar and Grill and Beer Island, received notices that their leases were not being renewed and that they had to be out by November 19th.

    Central Amusement International says it plans to spend millions of dollars revitalizing the Coney Island and wants to bring in some new businesses.

    But the eight businesses are now saying they are not going anywhere without a fight.

    "We are Coney Island and they just want to throw us out like we're nothing," says Anthony Berlingieri, owner of Shoot the Freak.

    At Ruby's Bar, which has been on the boardwalk since 1934, one long-time customer said, "Ruby's has to stay open. This place is history."

    "It's in my blood. It's been part of our family for more than 30 years," said Michael Sarrel, the proprietor of Ruby's.

    So now the eight businesses have hired an attorney who has sent notice to the developer that they won't leave without going to court or compensation for the time and effort they put into being on the boardwalk.

    A spokesperson for Central Amusement, the Italian-owned company that opened the new Luna Park, said the company will take legal action to have the businesses removed if they don't get going on their own.