The Pickle District No More

Guss' Pickles Leaves Manhattan for Brooklyn

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Izzy Guss Pickles have been sold from the streets of the Lower East Side since 1920 -- but not for much longer.

    The Lower East Side will soon be a one-shop town for New York-style pickles as one of the neighborhood's two remaining pickle peddlers is moving to Brooklyn.

    Guss' Pickle will leave Manhattan this fall after a 89-year stay, according to The New York Daily News. The departure will leave Essex Street's The Pickle Guys without any competition.

    "It's slow down here," Owner Pat Fairhurst told The Daily News. "It's not Jewish like it used to be, you know, traditional. Borough Park is right in the middle of it."

    Fairhurst has signed the lease for a new, larger Guss' Pickles on 39th St. between 14th and 15th Aves. in Borough Park.

    Isidor Guss, a Polish immigrant, created the now-famous landmark as a pushcart amongst Manhattan's Lower East Side Jewish population in 1920. Over the years, the shop has seen changes in ownership, the necessary move from pushcart to curbside barrel and a spotlight in the 1988 film, "Crossing Delancey."

    Now the the Lower East Side pickle district will be comprised of just one shop -- until the Pickle Guys decide it's time to cross the East River.