Police say a man has been breaking into apartments in Hell's Kitchen and stealing jewelry and electronics since February.
The man has hit at least six apartments around 10th Avenue and West 49th Street in Hell's Kitchen since Feb. 13, the NYPD said.
In the most recent burglary attempt, police say a 24-year-old woman in an apartment heard a noise outside her window and saw the suspect on the fire escape. When the man realized he'd been seen, he ran down the fire escape.
Rachel Brown, a friend of the woman, told NBC 4 New York that she installed a security system when she suspected someone may have tried to break into her place a few times in the past. The security camera captured the crystal-clear video of the suspect.
The suspect is also suspected in the following burglaries, mostly centered around Hell's Kitchen:
- Feb. 13: The suspect broke into an apartment on 10th Avenue and stole jewelry, electronic and a credit card.
- Feb. 13: The suspect broke into an apartment on 10th Avenue and stole money, clothing and electronics.
- March 4: The suspect broke into an apartment on West 49th Street and stole electronics and jewelry.
- March 6: The suspect broke into an apartment on West 49th Street and stole electronics and jewelry.
- March 6: The suspect broke into an apartment on West 49th Street and stole a laptop and a book bag.
Police released surveillance video of the suspect (above). In the meantime, Brown said her friend plans to move from the neighborhood.
"She's very scared, so she's moving," she said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS.
-- Gus Rosendale contributed to this report.