2nd Suspect in Harlem Pharmacy Robbery Caught in Rhode Island: Police

The suspect was taken into custody Tuesday by U.S. Marshals and members of the NYPD's Violent Felony Squad

View Comments ()



    NYPD released this surveillance video of the pharmacy shootout in Harlem Thursday. The clear video shows officers approaching the alleged robbers from outside the store, then suddenly being shot at. The robbers are seen fleeing. One of them would later die after being shot by an officer. (Published Friday, April 13, 2012)

    The second man wanted in connection with a dramatic Harlem pharmacy robbery in which another suspect was shot and killed earlier this month has been apprehended in Rhode Island, police say.

    The suspect was taken into custody Tuesday by U.S. Marshals and members of the NYPD's Violent Felony Squad. His name has not been released and charges are pending.

    Police had been looking for the suspect since the April 12 shootout at the pharmacy near 119th Street and First Avenue. On that day, police say the suspect and his armed accomplice, identified as 23-year-old Rudolph Wyatt, walked into the pharmacy and demanded cash and painkillers.

    While a pharmacist in the store gathered the drugs Wyatt demanded, another worker pushed a silent alarm, authorities said. But three patrol officers were already outside after a 911 call, as the robbery was in progress.

    Serial Pharmacy Robber Shot Dead: Police

    [NY] Serial Pharmacy Robber Shot Dead: Police
    Police say a robbery suspect shot and killed by police in East Harlem Thursday is linked to two other pharmacy robberies in the Bronx. News4's John Noel reports. (Published Thursday, April 12, 2012)

    Video showed the officers, guns drawn, telling the suspects to come out with their hands up. The suspect, dressed in gray sweats and a black sweatshirt, came out and was grabbed by an officer, but Wyatt came out with his gun drawn.

    One officer fired at Wyatt and missed. Wyatt crossed the street and was confronted by an armed retired police lieutenant, who shot and killed him.

    During the confusion, the suspect who initially surrendered managed to slip away in the chaos, triggering the weeks-long manhunt that culminated in Tuesday's arrest.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.