Maksim Gelman, of Brooklyn, who is accused of going on a 28-hour stabbing rampage through New York City, center, is lead by officers out of the 61st Precinct in the Brooklyn borough of New York Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011. (AP Photo/David Karp)
The man accused in a bloody stabbing rampage that left four dead and four wounded across the city was indicted Friday on murder, assault and car theft charges.
Maksim Gelman, who is being held without bail, was not in the Brooklyn courtroom and did not enter a plea.
The 23-year-old has said he was set up and he told reporters who visited him in the jail ward of Bellevue Hospital that his "mind isn't right."
Gelman had a history of arrests for graffiti and drugs, including crack possession.
He sent police on a massive manhunt last week, and he was finally captured on a subway underneath Times Square.
Authorities say Gelman's stabbing and carjacking spree started after he became unhinged during an argument over keys to his mother's Lexus.
Police say he then stabbed his stepfather to death, sped away and committed other attacks — both targeted and random — for the next 28 hours.
He's accused of stabbing an acquaintance and her mother to death and mowing down and killing a pedestrian.
He also stabbed and wounded a livery cab driver, a man on the street in Crown Heights and a straphanger on the No. 3 train, authorities said.
Gelman has been charged with four counts of second-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, four counts of robbery and three counts of assault.