Con Ed, Union Strike Deal to End 3-Week Lockout

Gov. Cuomo met with the leadership of Con Ed and Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers of America Thursday morning

By Fay Abuelgasim
|  Thursday, Jul 26, 2012  |  Updated 5:59 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Con Ed Contract Talks Continue

NBC 4 New York

advertisement
Photos and Videos

From the Archives: 1983 Con Edison Strike

Watch this story during the 1983 Con Ed strike, featuring reporter Bob Teague.

Con Ed Contract Talks Continue

It's been five days since negotiations over a new contract broke down. As the company and 8,500 locked out workers head into the weekend, there's no agreement in sight. John Noel reports.
More Photos and Videos

Fearing that a severe storm could wreak havoc with New York City's power system, Gov. Andrew Cuomo intervened in a labor dispute between Consolidated Edison and its workers and brokered a tentative agreement Thursday after a weeks-long standoff.

"You don't want a storm hitting New York City without Con Ed being at full force," Cuomo said at a news conference announcing that an agreement had been reached.

Terms of the four-year agreement were not disclosed, since it must be taken back to the union's executive committee and the membership, as well as to Con Ed's board.

"It's a good deal I believe for both sides," Cuomo said.

The previous contract between Con Ed and Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers of America had expired June 30, with Con Ed locking out about 8,000 employees just hours later. Among the points of contention had been pensions and health care.

The lockout continued even as high temperatures stifled the city on several days. But Thursday night was expected to bring severe thunderstorms, with damaging winds and hail, to the city and larger region.

That pushed Cuomo into getting involved, and he brought the sides together. Initially, an agreement was reached for half of the locked out employees to return to work temporarily, for the duration of any emergency and any following repairs.

The sides continued talking after that temporary agreement was reached, leading to the tentative contract agreement later Thursday.

"Sometimes a storm has a silver lining. And I think this storm actually had a silver lining by bringing the parties together," Cuomo said.

He spoke at his Manhattan office after personally overseeing several hours of negotiations between Con Ed officials, including President Kevin Burke, and Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers Union of America.

"We never would have been able to get this done without the governor's intervention," said Local 1-2 President Harry Farrell. "All of my members will be going back to work ASAP."

Burke said Thursday was the first day that he was personally involved in the labor talks. He said Cuomo "has certain skills that help bring people together."

About 5,000 managers, former employees and contractors were keeping the power going for 3.2 million customers in New York City and Westchester County during the lockout.

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out