NY to Get $3.5B in 1st Release of Sandy Aid

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    New York is getting nearly $3.5 billion in the first release of funds from the $50.5 billion emergency relief measure enacted last month for Sandy victims, Sen. Charles Schumer said Tuesday.

    The state will receive $1.7 billion and New York City will receive nearly $1.8 billion for distribution, Schumer said.

    "We know there is desperate need and anxious waiting in the places hit by the storm, and we will be making sure that this money gets to homeowners, small business and communities as quickly as possible," Schumer said.

    The money is part of $16 billion in community block grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development that will be released this week. The money will go toward housing and rebuilding efforts.

    Storm-Ravaged Homeowners Hit With Foreclosure Notices

    [NY] Storm-Ravaged Homeowners Hit With Foreclosure Notices
    Some Long Island residents who endured the destruction of their homes in the storm have now been hit with foreclosure notices on those same homes. News 4's Greg Cergol reports. (Published Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013)

    Schumer said further details on the specific projects and geographic distribution will be released in mid-February.

    The Oct. 29 storm was one of the worst to strike the Northeast and is blamed for more than 130 deaths and tens of billions of dollars in property damage.