Police arrested a suspect in connection with a multiple shooting at Harlem's famed Rucker Park last week that wounded five people and forced the cancellation of basketball games scheduled as part of an annual tournament.
Ricardo Laing, 24, of White Plains, was arrested July 29 and charged with five counts of attempted murder, police said Tuesday. It wasn't known if he had an attorney.
The five men were shot around 10:15 p.m. at the park at 155th Street and Eighth Avenue on July 26. Updates on their conditions weren't immediately available.
Gregory Marius, CEO and founder of the Entertainer Basketball Classic agreed with the city and parks department to postpone scheduled basketball games to allow tempers to cool in the neighborhood.
"It was crazy. Shooting for no reason," said Awad Mohammed, a deli worker who had witnessed the shootout.
The tournament -- intended to get people off the streets and away from violence -- has been held for 31 years, Marius said, and has been violence-free for the past 20. It attracts celebrities, pro-basketball players and turns out future stars, he said.
The shooting came days after a 4-year-old boy was fatally shot at a Bronx playground after gunfire broke out at a basketball game.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.