Smoldering Cable Causes Queens Manhole Fire

By DeMarco Morgan
|  Monday, Jul 18, 2011  |  Updated 5:53 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Smoldering Cable Causes Queens Manhole Fire

Consolidated Edison officials responded Monday to a manhole fire in Queens that affected power in the area.

Smoke and flames were seen pouring out of two manholes at 51st Street and Northern Boulevard in Woodside, and at least one nearby building was evacuated.

Batallion Chief Douglas Gehrt says the building was evacuated because carbon monoxide levels were feared too high.

"The CO levels are dropping and we're monitoring it until we get it to acceptable levels," he said.

Con Ed said four customers were affected. Utility workers were on scene to make repairs.

The cause was smoldering cables underground, the utility said.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out