Pregnant Woman Dies in Fire After Smoking in Bed: Report

Friday, May 27, 2011  |  Updated 10:45 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fire in Brooklyn Claims 1

Fire officials say one person has died in a fire in the Prospect Heights section of Brooklyn.

The victim was a pregnant woman who was smoking in bed, according to the Daily News. The paper identified her as 21-year-old Choy Barrington.

The fire was reported at 3:28 a.m. Friday on the second floor of the three-story building at 767 Washington Ave. It was under control about 30 minutes later.

The father of the unborn child told the News that Barrington fell asleep two weeks ago with a cigarette in her mouth.

"But I was there to save here and put it out ... I wasn't there to save her this time," he said.

Her roommates told the News that they tried to save the beauty school student, who was three months pregnant.

"I looked under the door and saw red flames," said Lawrence Jones, 25. "There was nothing but fire."

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out