Priest Saves Man Who Caught Fire in Church

Unidentified elderly victim was lighting candle at Holy Family church in Hicksville

By Greg Cergol
|  Thursday, Feb 24, 2011  |  Updated 9:01 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Weird News Photos: Holiday Edition

The names of the priest and the victim were unknown.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Long Island Father Saves Elderly Man

Reverend rescues 89-year-old man on fire inside church.
More Photos and Videos

A Long Island priest has been credited with saving the life of one of his parishioners, an elderly man whose clothing caught fire inside a church.

The unidentified victim, 89, was lighting a candle at Holy Family Church in Hicksville when his clothes caught fire.

It's unclear how his clothing erupted in flames, but the fire set off smoke alarms in the church.

"I grabbed a fire extinguisher and put him out and tried to keep him calm," said Rev. Henry Reid, who has been with the church almost five years.

The victim was rushed to Nassau University Medical Center's burn unit, with burns over 60 percent of his body.

He is in critical but stable condition.

"He's one of our people and it's horrible to think that this would happen," Reid said.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out