More than a month after being shot outside Oheka Castle on Long Island, owner Gary Melius remains confident his attacker will be captured.
Melius and his family released a statement exclusively to NBC 4 New York Thursday.
Melius, 69, said he is recovering well from the head wound received at the hands of a lone gunman in the courtyard of the Huntington wedding venue in February.
Suffolk police continue to hunt the attacker and are examining Melius’ business, political and personal connections for possible leads.
The police department has refused to comment publicly about the progress of the investigation.
The Melius family also used the statement to lash out at Melius’ critics, specifically Jay Jacobs, the chairman of Nassau County’s Democratic party.
The family said, “In the wake of the attempt on Gary’s life, Jay Jacobs has sought to do what the gunman, thankfully, failed to do; destroy the life of a man who has dedicated his life to hard-work and charitable giving.”
In the days after the attempt on Melius’ life, Jacobs condemned Melius’ work with New York's Independence Party.
Calling the Independence party “shadowy and corrupt,” Jacobs charged that most of the party’s funds have gone to Melius and his associates.
Jacobs urged both Democratic and Republican candidates for governor to refuse the Independence party nomination.
Melius’ family called those comments “distortions and outright lies,” adding that “the only comfort we can take as members of the Melius’ family is that we know Gary is strong, on the road to recovery, and will, in due time, appropriately confront the behavior of Mr. Jacobs.”
When reached Thursday, a spokesman for Jacobs and Nassau’s Democratic party stood by the earlier charges.
During last year’s county executive race in Nassau, Melius’ support of an Independence party candidate led in part to the influence-peddling scandal that led to the resignation of Nassau’s police commissioner.