Police carry away a participant in a march organized by Occupy Wall Street in New York on Saturday Sept. 24, 2011.
New York prosecutors have dropped charges against nearly two dozen people arrested in the first mass arrest of Occupy Wall Street demonstrators. But about 50 other cases are headed toward trial.
The Manhattan district attorney's office asked a judge Monday to dismiss 21 cases stemming from a Sept. 24 march to Manhattan's Union Square. Prosecutors said they couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that those individuals' conduct was illegal.
Authorities have said the demonstrators blocked traffic and refused orders to disperse.
Robert Hott is one of the protesters whose case was dismissed. He says he followed police instructions and didn't hear any order to leave.
About two dozen others previously took prosecutors' offer to get the charges dismissed by staying out of trouble for six months.