Long Island Elementary School Evacuated After Black Smoke Triggers Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Firefighters determined the school was safe for students to return

Thursday, Oct 10, 2013  |  Updated 8:47 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fourteen students and an adult were taken from Camp Avenue Elementary in North Merrick to a nearby hospital.  Greg Cergol reports.

NBC 4 New York

Fourteen students and an adult were taken from Camp Avenue Elementary in North Merrick to a nearby hospital. Greg Cergol reports.

A Long Island school was briefly evacuated Thursday over potential carbon monoxide concerns when black smoke started puffing out from a boiler, authorities say.

Several students in a sixth-grade class at the Camp Avenue Elementary School in North Merrick were exposed and complained of nausea, headaches and dizziness, according to officials. 

School officials called 911, and responders evacuated the school as a precaution. 

The fire department assessed the area and determined it was safe for children to return to the building. The 14 children who were exposed to the smoke were being evaluated and their parents notified, officials said. An adult was also treated. 

School dismissal was scheduled for regular time. 

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out