Canceled Fireworks Back on in Cash-Strapped Town

Donations saved the show, the town said

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A cash-strapped New York town that had to cancel its Fourth of July fireworks says the show is back on, thanks to donations that saved the celebration.

    New Rochelle town officials said last month that the Independence Day display costs $75,000, and was eliminated from the city's 2012 budget.

    New Rochelle asked for donations to help save the holiday celebration, and announced Wednesday that funding from a local nonprofit, the S.E.L.F.-Help Foundation would make the display possible.

    “The exceptional generosity of this donation, along with support from others, will permit thousands of families to once again observe our nation's founding with a terrific celebration,” New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson said in a statement. “On behalf of a grateful community, I offer sincere thanks.”

    The nonprofit said the donation "was given out of respect for America and love for New Rochelle."

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.