A mother was arrested at a New Jersey restaurant after her toddler was found home alone in a smoke-filled apartment.
Police say a building superintendent saw smoke coming from the apartment and called police. Before they arrived, the superintendent entered the apartment with two neighbors and found the 2-year-old alone in a bedroom, next to a bed where an iron was smoldering on some clothing.
They grabbed the child, who is expected to be OK.
Police say it was a sweltering 90 degrees inside the home.
The 23-year-old mother was arrested at a restaurant in Cranford, about 2 miles away authorities said. She is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Authorities didn't say what might have caused the smoky conditions inside the apartment.
--Jen Maxfield contributed to this story