NYPD Stopped 600,000 People in 2010

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2011  |  Updated 3:00 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
NYPD Stopped 600,000 People in 2010

The NYPD stopped 600,000 people last year, the highest number in the eight years those statistics have been kept.

The Daily News reports that police stopped 601,055, a 4 percent increase from 575,304 the previous year.

About 14 percent of those stopped last year were given summonses or arrested, the newspaper said. The other 86 percent were questioned.

Donna Lieberman of the New York Civil Liberties Union pointed to large disparities between whites and non-whites. Some 85 percent of those stopped last year were black and Latino men.

"Unfortunately, the pattern of stopping innocent New Yorkers continues," Lieberman said. "The pattern of stopping enormous numbers of overwhelmingly African-American and Latino men continues."

The NYPD did not immediately comment.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out