Tentative Deal Moves the NBA Lockout Closer to End

Knicks would return to court Christmas Day

By Brian Mahoney and Lori Bordonaro
|  Sunday, Nov 27, 2011  |  Updated 3:48 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
NBA Lockout Hurts NJ Bars, Businesses

Getty Images

Amar'e Stoudemire #1 of the New York Knicks in Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Boston Celtics during the 2011 NBA Playoffs on April 24, 2011 at Madison Square Garden.

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Carmelo: NBA Season Won't Start on Time

Bruce Beck went one-on-one with Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony to discuss the NBA lockout, his offseason workout plans and the Knicks' future. Melo was being honored at the "New Yorkers for Children Fall Gala to Benefit Youth in Foster Care."

NBA Lockout Hurts NJ Bars, Businesses

The NBA's failure to reach a deal with its players is affecting the wallets of more than just millionaire owners and players. Brian Thompson explains how small businesses in Newark are losing out because of the lockout.
More Photos and Videos

Knicks and Nets fans are getting a holiday gift this year with the ending of the NBA lockout, with an expected Christmastime return to the court.

For the season openers, it would be Boston at New York, Miami at Dallas and Chicago at the Lakers on Christmas Day.

"Lockout's over now, this is a good early Christmas present," said Robbie Diamond outside Madison Square Garden Saturday. "I'm gonna watch some basketball and open presents!"

Now, the regular season would end one week later and push back NBA finals a week, potentially setting up a Game 7 on June 28, 2012.

The details of the deal were still being worked out with NBA owners and union officials, with a tentative labor agreement in place.

Fans and local business owners were optimistic and said Saturday they were looking forward to the return of basketball. The executive chef of a steakhouse near the Knicks' home base said business has gone down 50 percent since the lockout.

"We do depend heavily on the Garden for revenue," said Daniel Maggio of Nick and Stef's Steakhouse. "We are really happy for them to get back so we can go back to normal."

After a 149-day lockout that ultimately will cost the league approximately a half-billion dollars in losses, a marathon bargaining session produced a handshake agreement earlier in the day — actually, just a few hours before daybreak.

Commissioner David Stern still must sell his owners on an agreement that could change the way they do business. And the players, looking beat and beaten, face a tougher healing process in approving a pact that significantly limits their earnings.

But considering everything owners sought when these negotiations opened with a contentious meeting at the All-Star break in February 2010, perhaps they will feel relieved they got as much as they did.

Just 12 days after talks broke down, Stern and executive director Billy Hunter appeared together after 3 a.m. Saturday to announce the 10-year deal, with either side able to opt out after the sixth year. It leaves the NBA with its second shortened season (the first was the 50-game 1998-99 season), with the hope of getting in 66 games instead of a full 82-game schedule.

Stern said he expects the labor committee to endorse the deal and recommend it to the full board for approval.

The players' side has revealed little of its feelings about the deal, noting the pending antitrust litigation in its desire to keep details quiet. But players always preferred to be on the court, rather than in it, and now they finally have the chance, starting Christmas Day.

The deal also calls for no hard salary cap, no rollbacks of existing salaries and contracts can still be fully guaranteed. Owners had called for all of that, seeking a route to profitability after saying they lost $300 million last season, and believing they would create a level of parity that had been missing.

But players' annual raises were trimmed from 10.5 percent for those re-signing with their own teams and 8 percent for those leaving to 7.5 percent and 4.5 percent respectively. Rules implemented to curb spending by teams over the luxury tax will limit some of their options in free agency.

Owners relented slightly on their previous insistence that players receive no more than 50 percent of basketball-related income after they were guaranteed 57 percent in the old CBA. The target is still a 50-50 split, but with a band from 49 percent to 51 percent that gives the players a better chance of reaching the highest limit than previously proposed.

Players filed an amended antitrust lawsuit in Minnesota on Monday that could have earned the players billions but surely would have come at the cost of at least the entire 2011-12 season.

The sides said all along the only way to a deal was through negotiating. They got back together Tuesday, setting the way for the pivotal meeting that began Friday.

Now, players must drop the lawsuit against the league and reform their disbanded union before they can vote on the deal.

Once the pact is approved, it would pave the way for training camps and free agency to open simultaneously Dec. 9, setting off a chaotic flurry of activity that could leave coaches running practices with different players arriving each day. There could be an even larger pool of free agents if teams use the amnesty clause, which allows them to waive one player during the deal and have 100 percent of his salary taken off the cap and the tax.

Because the union disbanded, a new collective bargaining agreement can only be completed once the union has reformed. Drug testing and other issues still must be negotiated between the players and the league, which also must dismiss its lawsuit regarding the legality of the lockout.

Some major matters — like revenue sharing, which the NBA has said it will not really dive into until a new CBA is complete — remain on the table as well. Meetings on that issue take place every few days, and the person briefed on the status of the NBA's discussions said many teams are not thrilled by the notion of paying both a luxury tax and into a revenue-sharing pool.

When the NBA returns, owners hope to find the type of parity that exists in the National Football League, where the small-market Green Bay Packers are the current champions. The NBA has been dominated in recent years by the biggest spenders, with Boston, Los Angeles and Dallas winning the last four titles.

Owners locked out the players July 1, and the sides spent most of the summer and fall battling over the division of revenues and other changes owners wanted in a new collective bargaining agreement. They said they lost hundreds of millions of dollars in each year of the former deal, ratified in 2005, and they wanted a system where the big-market teams wouldn't have the ability to outspend their smaller counterparts.

Players fought against those changes, and scored some concessions at the end. The full midlevel exception of $5 million a year for four years will be available to all teams as long as the signing doesn't take them more than $4 million over the tax, and the "mini midlevel" for taxpayers was increased to $3 million a year for three years.

Stern denied the antitrust litigation was a factor in accelerating a deal, but things happened relatively quickly after the players filed.

"For us the litigation is something that just has to be dealt with," Stern said. "It was not the reason for the settlement. The reason for the settlement was we've got fans, we've got players who would like to play and we've got others who are dependent on us. And it's always been our goal to reach a deal that was fair to both sides and get us playing as soon as possible, but that took a little time."

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news team... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out