9/11 Victims' Fund Expands Geographical Coverage Area

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    This flag has been flown every day since September 11

    The head of a $2.8 billion fund that will be used to compensate people who were sickened by the Sept. 11 attacks has announced final rules for the fund, including expanding its geographical coverage to all of Tribeca.

    Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund Special Master Sheila Birnbaum said Monday that her goal for the fund is to be fair, transparent and easy to navigate.

    Birnbaum also said that they decided to extend the fund's coverage area 10 blocks north of what was originally planned.

    "In addition to the dust that was present most heavily in the area south of Reade Street, there is also evidence suggesting that prolonged exposure to dust between Reade Street and Canal Street created a risk of physical harm," Birnbaum wrote in an email, according to DNA info.


    Congress reopened the Sept. 11 fund when it authorized the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act last year. The fund will start accepting applications Oct. 3.

    It is primarily intended to benefit first responders and cleanup workers who are suffering from illnesses they believe were caused by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.