A contractor hit a gas main in Montclair, N.J. Monday morning, causing a gas leak that forced the evacuation of the immediate area.
About 100 people were displaced, officials said. A reception center was set up at the Park Street YMCA.
Montclair fire officials said about 20 buildings were affected; none are residential.
PSE&G said the leak would be shut down by early afternoon.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.