NBC New York
A construction worker fell through a rotted roof into an acid tank in New Jersey on Monday, suffering severe burns before his co-worker jumped in to pull him out, officials said. Brian Thompson reports.
A construction worker fell through a rotted roof into an acid tank in New Jersey on Monday, suffering severe burns before his co-worker jumped in to pull him out, officials said.
The second man was also burned, but less severely.
The men were working for a roofing company to replace the roof at 1 Clifton Boulevard in Clifton, N.J.
Fire officials said the first worker fell through the weakened part of the roof into the tank below, which was used for cleaning steel.
He suffered burns from head to foot, and was not responsive when rescuers arrived, officials said. His co-worker who jumped in also had signs of burns but was more lucid after the fall and was able to rinse himself off.
He was taken to the hospital along with the first man.
Three other workers also helped the two acid-soaked men. They were also taken to the hospital.
Clifton fire officials said the building work had no permits and was being investigated.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.