Investigators found no new evidence in their renewed search for human remains along a desolate stretch of Long Island beachfront.
State police concluded their search Tuesday of a remote stretch of beach along a desolate Long Island highway without finding any new evidence in connection with a possible serial killer case, officials said.
Investigators said they would examine 11 specific sites along a two-mile stretch on both the east and west sides of the Robert Moses Causeway.
By 11:45 a.m., state police concluded the search with no new information to report.
The 11 sites were pinpointed in images captured by high-tech FBI aerial cameras earlier this year, state police trooper Frank Bandiero told NBC New York.
Two search teams, aided by two police dogs, spearheaded the renewed hunt for human remains, a state police spokesman told NBC New York. In all, about 30 state troopers assisted in the search.
An official from the city's medical examiner's officer was also on hand.
The highway searched Tuesday is just north of Ocean Parkway, where 10 sets of human remains have been discovered since December.
Authorities have identified five of the bodies. Four of the victims, all young women who worked as prostitutes and advertised their services on Craigslist, are believed to have been slain by a serial killer.
The bodies were found wrapped in burlap sacks within a mile of each other along the desolate stretch of highway.
Each of the four connected victims were strangled, officials have said.
Authorities discovered the first four bodies as they searched for Shannan Gilbert, a 24-year-old sex worker from Jersey City who vanished after a rendezvous with a client on Oak Beach. She was last seen May 1, 2010. Officials have yet to find her.
Authorities suspect other killers may have also left victims along the remote parkway, going back at least a decade.
The fifth body has also been identified as a prostitute, but police do not believe it is connected to the first four.