A house was destroyed beyond all recognition by an explosion in South Amboy, New Jersey, Friday afternoon.
"The whole house rocked," said one rattled neighbor. "The first thing I said is, 'Oh my God,' I thought it was an earthquake."
Two severely burned victims were taken taken to St. Barnabus Hospital Burn Center in Livingston, with burns to 80 perecnt of their body, police said. Their conditions were unknown.
Early indications were that a gas leak caused the carnage just before 2:15 p.m. PSE&G is still investigating.
The victims were renting the home from owner Andres Rios, who lives next door. He also suspected gas.
"For something to explode like that without catching fire... " said Rios.
His wife, broke down in tears when she heard the two renters were taken to the hospital with just burns.
"It could have been a lot worse," said Elena DeJesus.
As Chopper 4 flew over the location at 411 South Feltus Street, the house and its insides seemed completely devastated. Fire, police and gas officials were all on the scene.
Check back for updates on this developing story.