An investigation by the Bronx District Attorney into alleged sexual abuse at the elite Horace Mann School has found "a systemic pattern of alleged abuse" that endured for more than 30 years, prosecutors said Friday.
The DA began the review last year after a New York Times Magazine story detailed sexual abuse over several years.
Prosecutors said in a statement Friday that in its review, investigators conducted more than 60 interviews, including more than 25 with alleged victims. Investigators found that the abuse was more widespread than what the New York Times reported, the DA said.
In all, the DA said it has information about at least 12 abusers in alleged attacks dating to 1962. The latest abuse was alleged to have occurred in 1996.
Prosecutors said the statute of limitations has expired for all the alleged instances of abuse, and so none of the suspected abusers can be charged.
The alleged crimes ranged from inappropriate behavior to criminal sexual acts, prosecutors said.
A group of Horace Mann alumni said this month it has hired former judge and sex crimes prosecutor Leslie Crocker Snyder to conduct an independent probe of the abuse.
The school did not immediately respond to a request for comment.