High School Students Sickened After Eating Brownies: Officials

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013  |  Updated 9:05 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Several Long Island high school students wound up at a hospital on Tuesday after eating brownies.  Gus Rosendale reports.

Several Long Island high school students wound up at a hospital on Tuesday after eating brownies. Gus Rosendale reports.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Five students at a Long Island high school were taken to local hospitals after consuming some brownies believed to contain "toxins" at school Tuesday, officials said.

The 10th-grade students at Ward Melville High School in Setauket had elevated heart rates after ingesting the brownies, according to school district officials. They were taken to Stony Brook University Hospital.

"The district believes that these symptoms were the result of the consumption of brownies potentially containing harmful toxins, which were obtained by a fellow classmate," schools superintendent Cheryl Pedisich said in a statement. 

One student has been released from the hospital. The school district said it is conducting an internal investigation and that "appropriate disciplinary will be taken as necessary."

Fellow students said that whoever brought the laced brownies to school should be punished.

"Anyone that would bring drugs into school, sell them to kids or give them to kids unknowingly is a moron because you're putting people in a dangerous situation," one students said.

-- Greg Cergol contribued to this report. 

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | SMS AlertsTwitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out