Herman Cain has canceled a dinner with New York City media elites that had been scheduled for Sunday in Manhattan.
Gossip columnist Cindy Adams told NBC New York that the Republican presidential candidate phoned her Tuesday to call off the event, which she had been planning to host at her home. The guest list for the elaborate dinner included Matt Lauer, Barbara Walters and Leslie Stahl, she said.
Adams told NBC New York that Cain said he didn't want to go through the effort of an elaborate dinner only to cancel at the last minute, so he would rather bow out now.
The event was called off as Cain told aides Tuesday that he is reassessing his campaign amid new allegations that he had a 13-year extramarital affair.
Cain denies that there was any affair, but said on a conference call with aides that the latest accusation "is cause for reassessment," according to a transcript of the call by National Review Online.
"We have to do an assessment as to whether or not this is going to create too much of a cloud, in some people's minds, as to whether or not they would be able to support us going forth," he said.
The accusation surfaced when the Georgia woman came forward on Monday.
Cain has had a rocky month since it was first reported that three women alleged he had sexually harassed or groped them when he was president of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s.
Cain was continuing with a planned foreign policy speech Tuesday, and was keeping other appearances, but the Sunday event was axed.
The news of the cancellation was first reported by NY1.