LI Fire Caused by Unattended Candle, 13 Injured

Nassau County police say the fire was caused by an unattended candle left burning by an occupant of the apartment

Monday, Jul 23, 2012  |  Updated 10:39 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
13 Injured in LI Fire

NBC Local Media

advertisement

Thirteen people were injured, two critically, in an apartment fire caused by a burning candle, authorities said.

Police and firefighters responded to the fire at 100 Terrace Ave. in Hempstead at 10:25 p.m. Sunday.

The fire -- caused by candle that was lit and left unattended by a resident -- was contained to the one apartment but smoke caused the evacuation of the building.

Those injured suffered from smoke inhalation. Two people were listed in critical condition.

About six families have been displaced by the fire due to fire and water damage in the building.

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out