Help for Chile: Where You Can Donate
Contribute to relief efforts to help Chile recover
Women cover their faces from tear gas, shot by police officers, during looting in Concepcion, Chile, Sunday, Feb. 28.
A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake rocked Chile last weekend, killing at least 700 people and leaving another 2 million homeless. As rescue crews work doggedly to save victims trapped in the rubble, authorities fear the death toll will rise.
The devastating quake, one of the biggest recorded in the South American country, toppled buildings, destroyed bridges and triggered a tsunami with waves as high as 10 feet that killed at least three people and left 13 missing. The destruction is enormous, and those across our region want to help.
Here are some organizations to which you can donate to help the relief effort:
- AmeriCares- Vice President of Emergency Response, Christoph Gorder, says AmeriCares is sending a rapid response team to provide disaster relief.
- American Red Cross- The Red Cross has pledged $50,000 from their International Response Fund. You can give at NYredcross.org.
- Convoy of Hope- Convoy of Hope is sending an assessment team to Chile and is making plans to stage a response. You can help by donating through the website or text 4CHILE to 50555 to donate $10 to Convoy of Hope.
- Habitat for Humanity- Habitat for Humanity Chile has helped construct more than 3,500 homes since 1998. Donate through the website or text CHILE to 25383 to donate $10.
- Operation USA- Operation USA is sending medical aid to Chile as part of the relief efforts. Donate through the website or text REBUILD to 50555 to donate $10.
- Oxfam- Oxfam is sending water engineers and logisticians to assess the situation and determine what sort of ongoing aid is needed, saying though the severity of the situation is unclear, Oxfam is preparing for the worst.
- The Salvation Army- The Salvation Army immediately mobilized emergency services to provide relief. You can donate through the website or text CHILE to 52000 to donate $10.
- Save The Children- Save The Children is sending an emergency assessment team to Chile. You can aid in these efforts by donating to the Children's Emergency Fund.
- ShelterBox- A ShelterBox Response Team is en route to Chile, and an initial shipment of 448 ShelterBoxes, enough aid for up to 4,480 people, has been sent.
- World Vision- World Vision began immediate response in sending emergency relief supplies and staff to Chile to help injured survivors. Donate through the website or text CHILE to 20222 to donate $10.