More than 3 million people may be in need of relief after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake decimated Haiti this week, and New Yorkers who want to help the victims have multiple ways to show their support. Here's how you can help right now:
- American Red Cross of Greater New York. Donate now to the International Response Fund by going to the site and clicking donate. Send an eCard to make a tribute. You can also text "HAITI" to "90999" and $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross' efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or try calling 1-877-REDCROSS.
- Habitat for Humanity. All of Habitat's national and international affiliates are pooling their resources to help rebuild Haiti. Go to the site and donate money to help buy hammers, nails, doors, bedroom windows and other supplies. Call (212)-991-4000 for more information.
- K.I.D.S (Kids in Distressed Situations) is working with retailers and manufacturers to obtain donations of desperately needed new products. Donate a product by clicking here or give money here. The organization works with hundreds of companies and local agnecies to bring new clothes, shoes, books, and juvenile products to children and their families at risk.
- Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City. Donate online and the fund will direct 100 percent of your donation to emergency relief organizations directly serving the victims of the earthquake. Just type in the amount you'd like to donate and submit it online or mail your contribution to Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, Once Centre Street, 23rd Floor, New York, NY 10007. Call 212-788-7794. New Yorkers can also donate via 311.
- Save the Children. Donate now to support the organization's immediate and long-term response to children and families in need. It's a simple three-step process. Choose how much you want to donate, type in your information and click donate now. Also, call 1-800-728-3843 or go to the web site and complete the printable donation form.
- World Food Programme The United Nation's World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The World Food Programme accepts Google Checkout and PayPal so please make a donation today.
- Unicef. The organization has already sent its first shipment of supplies for affected families. Use this form to make a secure, tax-deductible donation to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF, supporting UNICEF’s emergency response in Haiti. $50, $100, $250, $500 or any amount you can give will help save lives. If you prefer, print a form to send your donation by mail or call 1-800-367-5437 to donate by phone.
- The United Way Worldwide. The United Way of New York is working closely with their World Wide Crisis Team and the United Way Caribbean Regional Council for insights into the needs on the ground in Haiti and how to most effectively assist in long-term recovery efforts. People can visit their website or contribute $5 by texting HAITI to UNITED(864833) on a mobile phone.
- International Relief and Development immediately sent a emergency response team to Haiti after the earthquake and is focused on the provision of emergency commodities, such as water, sanitation kits, medicines, hygiene kits, and shelter materials. They have provided substantial emergency support to Haiti in the past, including $4 million dollars worth of supplies following the 2009 hurricane season.