An elegantly decorated eatery that bills itself as the oldest Italian restaurant in New York City has been evacuated after a grease fire broke out in its kitchen.
New York Fire Department Deputy Chief Dan Donoghue tells the New York Post the fire started in a grease duct at Barbetta at about 6:20 p.m. Friday. No one was injured.
The midtown Manhattan restaurant's famous diners include former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Donoghue said it took firefighters about 50 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
Owner Laura Maioglio told the newspaper all guests were rushed out of the establishment after a chef warned of a fire. She said it'll be closed until repairs are made.
Barbetta was founded in 1906 by Laura Maioglio's father, Sebastiano Maioglio.