Middle Schooler Made "Hit List" of Students, Faculty, Family: Police

Friday, Feb 22, 2013  |  Updated 8:13 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A 12-year-old Long Island boy is undergoing a mental health evaluation after authorities discovered he made a

NBC 4 New York

A 12-year-old Long Island boy is undergoing a mental health evaluation after authorities discovered he made a "hit list" of students and faculty at his school, and family members whom he wanted to kill. Greg Cergol reports.

A 12-year-old Long Island boy is undergoing a mental health evaluation after authorities discovered he made a "hit list" of students and faculty at his school, and family members who he wanted to kill.

The boy was taken into custody by police at the Finley Middle School in Glen Cove Thursday. According to authorities, a classmate saw the boy writing the list Thursday morning and alerted a teacher.

Police searched the boy's home, but no weapons were found. Authorities believe the child did not have access to weapons.

The boy has not been charged with a crime and is currently being evaluated at North Shore Hospital.

Julian Tasayco, a friend of the boy, told NBC 4 New York the boy had been a victim of bullying and may have been trying to "get people scared." 

"He's a good kid," said Tasayco. "He's smart, but I never expected him to do something like this."  

Glen Cove school officials offered no explanation of what prompted the hit list, but said in a statement that the parents of every child on the list were notified and "took immediate action to ensure the safety and security of our students and staff." 

The boy has been suspended pending the outcome of a superintendent's hearing.

"I am worried but I feel so sorry for that kid, too. I think he needs attention," said Virginia Navarrete, a grandmother of a child at the school.

Glen Cove Det. Lt. John Nagle told Newsday there was no history of the boy ever being violent. 

"We don't think his intent was to make good on the list at all," Nagle said. 

In all, Glen Clove's mayor was satisfied with the way the threat was handled.

"Families were notified, and the schools are safe," said Mayor Ralph Suozzi . "And I think we just have to be a little more vigilant about these signs or indications that there's a troubled youth or troubled family within our midst."  

Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out