Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
A 10-year-old Long Island girl is in critical but stable condition a day after nearly choking to death on tortilla chips.
Two Suffolk County police officers and a Good Samaritan who began CPR are credited with helping save Alana Kiceina.
The little girl choked on the chips on Wednesday afternoon. Shawn Mitchell of Ridge happened to be in the girl's Mastic neighborhood when he saw Alana's mother struggling to get help.
Police arrived and used a defibrillator and other life-saving techniques.
A doctor at Stony Brook University Children's Hospital says Alana was still on a ventilator on Thursday morning, but showing signs of improvement. Her heart rate, blood pressure and other vital signs appeared normal.
She's expected to remain in the hospital for about a week.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.