Garage Storing Fireworks Explodes in Queens

Tuesday, Jun 1, 2010  |  Updated 6:45 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Garage Storing Fireworks Explodes in Queens

advertisement

An explosion has destroyed a garage where fireworks and fuel were being stored at a New York City home, setting off a fire and severely burning one man over 50 percent of his body.

The 31-year-old unidentified man was taken to Jacobi Medical Center's burn unit in critical condition. There were no other injuries.

Police and a fire official says the cause of Monday night's explosion at the Murray Street home in the Flushing neighborhood of Queens was under investigation.

But police say a preliminary investigation determined that the victim was storing fireworks and fuel in the garage when it exploded about 7:03 p.m.

A fire that erupted in the debris of the building was brought under control about a half hour later.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out