A 7-year-old girl was killed and her 3-year-old sister was badly hurt after an electrical fire ripped through an apartment in the Bronx early Sunday morning.
FDNY said Monday that the cause was bad wiring, and was not suspicious.
Authorities responded to the fire on Grant Avenue in Fleetwood-Concourse Village at about 3 a.m. Police say the children, who were in a fourth-floor apartment, were pulled from the smoldering fire unconscious and transported to Lincoln Medical Center.
The 7-year-old, who police identified as Hazel Martinez, was pronounced dead at the hospital. Her sister remains in critical condition.
Anita Harris, who lives just above the apartment where the children were, said smoke from the fire seeped into her apartment.
"Horrific smoke, you couldn't see anything and everything was black," said Harris. "I just kept thinking about those kids, 'Where are the children?'"
Neighbor Malisa Johnson, described Hazel as a bright-eyed, friendly little girl.
"She was in my granddaughter's class and would always say 'hi Mikaila's grandmother.'" Johnson said. "That's all I can hear in my head this morning, is her saying that."