Photos and VideosMore Photos and Videos
KaBoom, billed as the third-largest Fourth of July fireworks display in the nation, was canceled by Red Bank, N.J., officials for the first time in several decades this Independence Day. But it may not be gone forever. News 4's Brian Thompson reports.
KaBoom, billed as the third-largest Fourth of July fireworks display in the nation, was canceled by Red Bank, N.J., officials for the first time in several decades this Independence Day because of soaring costs.
The massive display was canceled because of high security and insurance costs that could not be offset by business donations, which, in the weak economy, dropped for the second year straight, said Mayor Pasqaule Menna. Last year the show drew 150,000 spectators.
In all, the cost had reached around $250,000, including the fireworks, security, insurance, trash pickup and barge rental.
Menna said he is talking with several business owners who were unaware of the costs involved and are now indicating they will step up to make sure KaBoom returns in 2013.
The event, which is usually held July 3, was sorely missed Tuesday night by Tommy Treacy, 20, who has attended most of the displays since he was a kid.
"Last night was not a good night. Nothing really happened, not a lot of parties or anything," Treacy said.
Only New York and Washington, D.C. have bigger displays than the heretofore annual KaBoom, Menna said. But the mayor has high hopes it will be back next year.
"I never said it was canceled. I used the word "suspended,'" Menna said.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Get our apps here and sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.