Fatal Upstate Fire Might Have Been Caused by Candle: Officials

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2009  |  Updated 1:30 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fatal Upstate Fire Might Have Been Caused by Candle: Officials

The fire in Huguenot was reported around 8 a.m., emergency officials said.

A house fire that killed three girls in upstate New York might have been touched off by a lit candle in a Halloween display, but they may never know exactly what happened, state police said today.

     Capt. Wayne Olson said homeowner Carolyn Dorritie told investigators the candle was burning Sunday night outside her daughters' rooms and she told them to put it out.
     
The fire damage made it difficult to determine if the candle was left burning or smoldering, Olson said. Investigators have ruled out an electrical origin for the Monday morning blaze in Huguenot, about 60 miles northwest of New York City.
    
The fire killed 10-year-old Julie Dorritie, 12-year-old Kassandra Dorritie and Kassandra's friend Devon Fahey, also 12 who was spending the night. Carolyn Dorritie and her 15-year-old daughter Courtney escaped -- though Courtney jumped from a second story window.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
21st Century Solutions
The NBCUniversal Foundation is partnering... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out