Con Ed Pays Nearly 90 Victims Following East Harlem Explosion

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Investigators continue to dig out the ruins of two buildings demolished in last week's deadly gas explosion, and on Thursday may have pulled some big keys to the investigation out of the ruins. Michael George reports.

    Con Edison has made compensation payments to nearly 90 survivors and residents displaced by the deadly explosion last week in East Harlem.

    The payments came a day after federal investigators found a leak in the gas main near one of the two apartment buildings that were leveled, according to The Wall Street Journal.

    Eight people were killed and more than 60 people were injured. The cause of the blast has not been determined.

    Con Ed spokesman Robert McGee says the company made 87 payments to people who were injured or lost their homes. He declined to provide the average amount paid for each victim.

    Funerals Begin for NYC Explosion Victims

    [NY] Funerals Begin for NYC Explosion Victims, Loved Ones "Heartbroken"
    Loved ones have begun holding services for the eight people killed in the Harlem explosion last week, leaning on each other for support as they grief their heartbreaking losses. Andrew Siff has more.

    He says the payments were made after "one-on-one" meetings with the victims.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS