A mechanic was killed after being electrocuted by what is believed to be exposed wires inside an elevator room in a midtown office building, NBC New York has learned.
Fire officials say it happened at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday while the mechanic was fixing an elevator in a building on Sixth Avenue.
Officials say the 39-year-old man was pronounced dead on arrival.
Police and buildings department officials are investigating.
No other information was immediately available.
Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Sign up for email newsletters here. Get breaking news delivered right to your phone -- just text NYBREAKING to 639710. For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.