Dominique Strauss-Kahn's court appearance for next Monday has been delayed while prosecutors consider their options in the troubled sex assault case.
The hearing for the former chief of the International Monetary Fund has been set for Aug. 1.
"We hope that during this time, the district attorney will make the necessary decision to dismiss the case against Mr. Strauss-Kahn," defense attorney William Taylor said.
But a lawyer for Strauss-Kahn's accuser said the case must move forward.
"At the end of its investigation, we expect the District Attorney's Office to stand by the victim and take her case to trial," said attorney Ken Thompson. "Justice requires no less."
Both sides met last week but a spokeswoman for the DA said afterward that "no decisions have been made."
The DA's office said Monday that the hearing had been delayed, but that there was no change in its decision about the case.
A judge released Strauss-Kahn from house arrest July 1 after investigators said they discovered significant problems with the credibility of the hotel maid who accused him of sexually assaulting her at the Sofitel on May 14.
The prosecution said in court last week that it was not moving to dismiss charges "at this time," but acknowledged the case was turned upside down after revelations that the maid had lied about parts of her past and her account of what happened that day.
Defense lawyers have argued there was no "forcible" encounter. Strauss-Kahn denies that he attempted to rape the maid.