Fire officials say a 70-year-old Albany County woman is dead after she apparently fell asleep while smoking.
Firefighters were called to a two-family home in Cohoes around 11:30 Saturday night and found 70-year-old Beverly Redcross on the floor halfway between the front and back door.
Cohoes Fire Chief Joseph Fahd says Redcross was a heavy smoker and there was extensive fire damage around the living room couch.
Redcross was pronounced dead at St. Mary's Hospital. Fahd said the cause of death was likely smoke inhalation.
Her son, who lived in the upstairs apartment, was at work at the time of the fire.