Bronx Boy Dies from Methadone Mistaken for Cold Medicine

The NYPD charged the child's mother with reckless endangerment.

Saturday, Feb 4, 2012  |  Updated 9:02 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Boy Dies from Methadone Mistaken for DayQuil

Getty Images

The methadone had been stored in a bottle of DayQuil.

advertisement

A Bronx woman has been arrested after her 6-year-old son died from methadone she had stored in a bottle of cold medicine, police said.     

The NYPD charged Raquel DeLeon, 36, with reckless endangerment on Thursday.    

The child, Carlos Rios Jr., was pronounced dead at a hospital Monday.     

Police say on Saturday his father unknowingly dosed him with half a tablespoon of methadone because it was stored in a DayQuil bottle and he thought it was cold medicine.

He was not charged in his son's death.    

It wasn't clear why DeLeon stored the drug in a cold medicine bottle; she told police she had a prescription for it.     

It wasn't immediately known if she had a lawyer.

The investigation is ongoing.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news team... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out