42 Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak at Long Island School

All students were treated and released from the hospital.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    All of the 42 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy students who were hospitalized after carbon monoxide was found to be leaking at the Long Island facility have been treated and released from the hospitall.     

    Kings Point Police Commissioner John Miller said three students had been hospitalized earlier Monday because of their particularly high readings of carbon monoxide, but were later released.

    Authorities said a water heater in the basement was found to be leaking carbon monoxide shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday. The leak was in the Academy's Barry Hall.     

    The campus was evacuated.

    The Merchant Marine Academy prepares students for careers in the maritime industry.  Its 82-acre campus is on Long Island, about 20 miles east of New York City.