Police in Portsmouth, N.H., say all passengers but one are off a Greyhound bus involved in a bomb scare, and that last passenger is still onboard being questioned by authorities.
Bomb squad units and police surrounded the bus Thursday after a 911 call came in following the bus' arrival in Portsmouth around 11:30 a.m. The call was "based on someone's observations," Police Capt. Mike Schwartz said. He had not heard of any threat being made.
Police were in contact with people on the bus, and later they began getting off the bus with their hands in the air. The state police explosives disposal unit and the FBI were on scene, but no authorities had approached the bus almost two hours later.
"We want to make sure things are safe," Schwartz said, and police were not calling it a hostage situation.
The driver, who police say got off the bus after he parked it on the side of the road, was being questioned. Seventeen people remained aboard, officials said.
The bus was parked with its flashers on, between a municipal parking garage and the Hilton Garden Inn. The hotel, garage and other area businesses had been evacuated, and streets have been closed.
The bus originated in Bangor, Maine, and made a stop in Portland before reaching Portsmouth, a scheduled stop. The bus would have continued on to Boston and ultimately New York City.