A fifth-grade teacher in the Bronx is accused of having sex with a 10-year-old girl with whom he also exchanged graphic emails, according to a law enforcement official.
The 40-year-old teacher at P.S. 386 was arrested Wednesday.
The law enforcement official tells NBC 4 New York that the teacher wrote a letter on school stationery claiming the girl had won an award that would be received at an event on Monday, and that he would take her.
Instead, officials say they spent the day having sex in his car.
The girl's mother found emails between the teacher and student that were described as extremely sexual, and notified police on Tuesday.
The Department of Education said the teacher had been reassigned away from the school and contact with students.
The teacher is charged with second-degree rape and predatory sexual assault against a child.
More New York-Area Stories:
- No Remains Found in Jimmy Hoffa Body Search: FBI
- 2 Arrested in Plot to Use X-Ray Weapon
- Possible Human Remains Unearthed at Former Home of "Goodfellas" Mobster
- Alleged Drunk Driver Plows into Bodega, 6 Hurt
- Shot NYPD Cop Recalls Alleged Gunman Saying "Die"