A suspect accused of randomly slashing five men in the face over the weekend was angry because he believed his phone had been stolen, law enforcement sources say.
Some of the men slashed Saturday spoke exclusively to NBC 4 New York Monday.
Jose Resto says he was just leaving a fast-food restaurant when he felt what he thought was a slap on the face. He looked down and saw blood.
Resto needed 93 stitches in the gash on his face, and was also cut on the throat.
"I thank God that I'm alive," he said.
His attacker never said a word.
Reynold Echavarria was also attacked. He needed 10 stitches on his face and 25 on his neck.
Police have charged Corey Glover, 28, with five counts of assault. Sources say he believed his phone had been stolen so he went on a slashing spree, attacking five men that morning in the Bronx.
Three of the victims were standing in line at a methadone clinic in Mott Haven. The others were scattered throughout the area.
The victims ranged in age from 23 to 50.
Attorney information for Glover was not immediately available.