Baby Dies in the Bronx After Ingesting Pills

13-month old baby dies after swallowing prescription pills

By Pei-Sze Cheng
|  Sunday, Oct 16, 2011  |  Updated 10:16 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Baby Dies in the Bronx After Ingesting Pills

Getty Images

Edwin Perocier Jr was found unconscious with a bottle of prescription pills in his crib on Friday shortly before 8 a. m. at 731 Southern Blvd, police said.

advertisement

Authorities are investigating the death of a 13-month old baby in the Bronx who was found unconscious in his crib with an open bottle of pills.

Police said Sunday the baby's parents gave him the bottle of pills as a rattle.

Edwin Perocier Jr was found unconscious with a bottle of prescription pills in his crib on Friday shortly before 8 a. m. at 731 Southern Blvd, police said.

Before the parents put Perocier Jr. to sleep Thursday night he was playing with a bottle of prescription pills, police said.

When the boy's mom stopped hearing it rattle, police say she went to check on him and discovered some pills had fallen out. She picked the pills up, gave the baby a bottle and put him to sleep. The parents found the child was not breathing Friday morning.

Those who know the family were shocked.

“The baby got enough toys. He didn't need a bottle for a rattle ... believe me, he didn't," said a neighbor.

Police say the parents are talking with investigators. No charges had been filed as of Saturday afternoon.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out