Judge Halts Skateboard Race Down Broadway

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A judge has halted a skateboard race down Broadway expected to draw nearly 2,000 skateboarders on Saturday.

    State Supreme Court Justice Geoffrey Wright on Thursday granted the city's request to halt the race on and prohibit any similar race.

    Ian Nichols, a 43-year-old organizer of the race, told The New York Times he was surprised by the ruling, but said he didn't plan to fight the decision.

    The race called for participants to gather at 116th Street and Riverside Drive on Saturday and then skateboard down to Wall Street along Broadway.

    The race has been held since 2002. Last year 1,000 racers participated.

    "It seemed like every year the police would be upset, and then they would forget," Nichols said.

    City officials expressed alarm when 1,800 signed up this year.

    The city Law Department said racers have failed "to stop for red lights, cutting off and weaving through moving vehicles."

    The judge ruled the organizers needed a parade permit and were violating city regulations without one.

    Get the latest from NBC 4 New York anywhere, anytimeiPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Email Newsletters Send Us News Tips | Google+ | Instagram | RSS