A disabled man died in a Bronx apartment building fire that also left his mother in serious condition, officials said. Sheldon Dutes reports.
A disabled man who used a wheelchair died in a Bronx apartment building fire that also left his mother in serious condition, officials said.
FDNY authorities said a call about the fire, at 2705 Colden Ave. in Allerton, came in at 6:05 a.m. Saturday and it was under control by 6:45 a.m.
The fire, which is not considered suspicious, started in the kitchen of the the fifth-floor apartment in which the man and his mother lived, according to officials.
The man and his mother were trapped in the apartment as flames and smoke shot out of their window, neighbors said.
"She screamed and smoke came out the window and one thing led to another," said Ronald Campbell, who said he grabbed his hammer to pry the door open while other neighbors rushed over to help.
The name of the man, who is 23, has not been released; the woman, 54, has life-threatening injuries, the FDNY said.
Although they didn't know the family very well, several neighbors said they have fond memories of seeing them around the building.
"You fist bump when you see him," said Frank Sapienza. "It's a tragedy."