Blind Man Burned Trying to Rescue Neighbor Trapped in Blaze

Monday, Dec 27, 2010  |  Updated 7:38 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Blind Man Burned Trying to Rescue Neighbor Trapped in Blaze

John Marcucci

A family of four escaped uninjured from a suburban house fire that left one of their two cats dead.

advertisement

A 73-year-old blind man is in stable condition after suffering severe burns when he ran into a burning New York City home in response to screams from a neighbor.

James Shackelford became engulfed in flames when he rushed into the St. Albans, Queens, home shortly after noon Sunday, authorities said.

The New York Post quoted two good Samaritans who said they rolled the retired John F. Kennedy International Airport cook to stamp out the fire after seeing him ablaze as they drove by the home.

Shackelford was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where a hospital official said he was listed Monday in stable condition with burns over 50 percent of his body. He has been blind for a dozen years.

Two other people suffered minor injuries in the blaze.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Follow us on Instagram!
We post photos taken by our news... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out